The truth about castor oil

What is the obsession with castor oil? According to Naturallivingideas.com, castor oil is made from beans from the tropical plant Ricinus communis. It's mostly made up of triglycerides, a type of natural fat that is a main component in the makeup of our skin. You'll find triglycerides in a lot of skin products (as expected) due to their skin softening and replenishing properties.


Castor oil is most popular for its use as a laxative. However, castor oil contains a protein called ricin which is toxic. It is easy to ingest too much castor oil, therefore taking it for laxative purposes is not recommended and can lead to gastrointestinal side effects, such as cramping and diarrhea. 

It is also popular as a skin moisturizer. This makes sense when considering its main component of triglycerides. I imagine castor oil would be excellent when used as a massage oil. It is sticky however, so I would use it when you intend to shower afterwards. 

The current obsession with castor oil is surrounding its supposed effects as a hair growth product. From personal experience, I have used it for about 5 months once a day before bed to enhance the length of my eyelashes. I have observed ZERO improvement. 

With that being said, on Amazon there are over 2,000 reviews stating the contrary. Personally I am skeptical of its effects as a hair growth product due to its properties and my own experience using it, but I believe that not everything will work for everyone and others may have more positive results than I did. Additionally, I only used it for the purpose of enhancing my eyelashes. I have no experience using it to enhance my eyebrows or hair. It's fairly inexpensive in my opinion and worth purchasing. You can get it here for under $10 on Amazon. 


My only recommendation is that you be careful when applying castor oil. It is known to be allergen to some and it can cause eye irritation when too much is applied to the lash line. For this reason, I would suggest applying castor oil in small amounts at first to prevent redness and irritation. 

If you've used castor oil before, please comment below and let me know how it went. I would love to hear if it was successful for you and if you used it to length your lashes, eyebrows, and/or hair. 

Source: http://www.naturallivingideas.com/castor-oil/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best summer finds from Shein for under $20

Must read for active ladies with big busts

I'd like to introduce myself...